Monday 19 October 2009

It's not just mail, it's deception!

Well, I wanna try to raise awareness among those who read my blog here on how dangerous the cyberworld can be.

As technologies become more and more advanced, with so many capabilities, exploiting them could mean a lot of ka-ching. A lot of people today just wanna get their hands on easy money by fooling other people.

Ever received this in your mail?


This "YouAreBlocked Team" claims that this is not a spam, well, yeah... right...

Remember to think twice before hitting that "Click Here". Sure, it may be fun if you could know who blocked you, but is it worth giving out your email account details to other people? Very dangerous...

Oh, and read this:

Dear,

How are you today? May this emergency appeal finds you well, I am sorry that I did not inform you about my travel to Africa

for a program. The program is taking place in three major Countries in Africa which includes Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa.

It has been a very sad and bad moment for me that the present condition i found myself is so intoxicated to explain.

I am stranded in Nigeria because I forgot my little bag and my ATM card in a Taxi where my money ,documents and other

valuable things were kept, I am so confused right now that I do not know what to do or where to go. I need your urgent help

and i want you to please loan me the sum of $2,000 USD to enable me sort-out myself and confirm my Basic Traveling Allowance

fees back home, but if you could not come up to the requested amount due to the short notice, kindly go ahead and send to me

any amount you can afford right now and email me the transfer details I will be so grateful to receive it. However, I will

return the money back to you as soon as I get back home I promise.
.....

Below is the information where to send me the western union.


Receiver's Name: (...............)
Address: 45 Methodist Church Avenue
City: Ikeja
State: Lagos
Zip Code:23401
Country: Nigeria
Test Question: Who is the receiver?
Answer: (...............)

After you have sent the money email me the western union transfer details such as:

MTCN (Money transfer control number)

Amount Needed: $2,000 USD I will check my email soonest to pick up the western union transfer details to enable me return

back home with the next available flight, I need the transfer # MTCN (money transfer control number) as soon as possible.

Thanks,
(...............)



Recently, my friend's email got "hijacked"... (Poor guy), and now, these idiots are using his email to spam other people (his contacts). I replaced parts of the email with "(...............)" to keep him anonymous, but anyway, the "(...............)" were actually my friend's name.

By studying the mail, there are a few "flaws". I doubt my friend has any relations or any connections with "45 Methodist Church Avenue". And Nigeria? He's currently having exams in Malaysia, and you tell me he's halfway around the globe? Really?

Anyway, here's a tip: Just delete spams. Don't read them. Leave them alone.

Oh, some spammers are smart. They disguise themselves as a large company staff, such as Microsoft or the email service provider and asks you to provide your account details for things that are "related to your account" and if you refuse to do so, they threaten to shut down your account.

Yea anyway, keep your account password to yourself. ;)

0 comments: