Saturday 23 February 2008

Health problems... the biggest hurdle of life

Few days ago, I heard from a channel in Astro that say Lydia Sum has just passed away. I was like "What? How the hell??? What happened?". I used to like watching her act and also watching her game shows. They are very funny. It seems that she died of liver cancer (according to Wikipedia, that is). It was very sudden.

To some of you who doesn't know her by her English name, she is also known as "Fei Fei" or "Fei che", by the way, those are the cantonese pronouciation of her nicknames. In mandarin, it is written 肥肥 and 肥姐. (You'll need Chinese Language support to see the Chinese words)

How did I really get the news? OK, when I came back from school, and do all the things I must do (eat,bathe, etc...), my father was watching TVB Xing He (ch. 314). I came out of my room and saw everyone crying and glum on the TV (I have no idea why there's this TVB8 logo on the screen eventhough the channel is TVB Xing He). Then suddenly, I saw a big portrait of the dearly departed. By then, my father was already out of the house to work. Everyone in the show was talking about her and when they mentioned her name, it reminded me of my grandma. I felt really pity for her. I was like "Oh my god, got to tell sister...". Yeah, so my sis was also like "WTF???"

If you read in Wikipedia about her, (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Shum#Health_.26_death) the story is really tragic. She had so many complications.
I really didn't know about her health problems until I find out why she died. She looked very healthy when she was acting. In the end, her family decided that her life support should be taken off, and they sit by her bedside in the hospital. This almost happened to my grandma as well. The doctor told my family that her life support is to be taken off if she doesn't recover in 2 days. But my mother rejected that idea and my grandma stayed alive for 1 more week. Still, the loss of a great mentor and a great actor are some of the saddest moments in my life (yes, there's still more sad moments, but I prefer to keep them to myself). It's not that I like Lydia Shum as much as I like Miley Cyrus or Raven Symone, but then her death just reminds me of my grandma's death. Both had health problems. It's just sad lah, ok.

0 comments: