Friday 1 February 2008

Mr Ball

(Yes, I know, the title sounds stupid)

Anyway, nothing much happened today apart from standing for 2 hrs and 20 minutes under a cloudy sky. I've been trying to get the video of my game onto youtube but always get screwed up. I find this one has better quality than the others, but the sound isn't quite good. Sigh...

OK, I made this game using the nice little tool named Game Maker 6.1 (oh Mark, you are such a genius). You'll know why it's name "Mr Ball Arena" when you watch the video. I just made this game for fun and not to rival with other games from those big big companies (obviously, this game is just too simple to compete). There's no storyline (like RPGs) and can be considered an action game. What are you supposed to do in this game, you ask? Well, just hold down the [Ctrl] button and shoot the diamond. Simple eh?

Just like some fighting game and some RPGs, there is a HP and MP system. This video only highlights a few levels in this game, but there are a total of 8 levels. There's one more level called the Secret Battle (in some way, it's secret). You can't access it unless you finish the game first. That should be an easy task since you can skip levels (yes, i made the "Skipping levels" thingie for debugging purposes only and will be "taken out" later, but decided to keep it). After finishing the last level, you'll get instructions on how to gain access to the secret battle.

About the graphics.... they aren't that pretty, are they? You see, I can't draw things very nicely on the computer that's why I drew simple sprites. Oh, and why choose spheres and diamonds? It's because those shapes are actually pre-defined shapes in Game Maker.

Anyway, that's all I can say. I'm almost finished with the game (I can't really spend too much time on it since PMR is coming). If you wanna play it later (not sure why), just tell me and I'll give it to you. The videos are on the little side bar somewhere at the near the bottom of the page, i think. But it is the last side-bar-element thingie.

The second video is the secret battle demo. It's harder than it looks. I made two modes, one Normal mode, and one ridiculously-insanely hard mode which is probably more fun than the boring "Normal" mode, unless of course you hate fighting almost-impossible-to-win enemies. (That explains why when you start Secret Battle, you have 75 lives, which is 15 times more than the normal amount of lives). I used one of Persona 3's (another PS2 game, which my sister plays) boss battle themes here instead of the usual Kingdom Hearts II BGMs.

Hope you like it. (Sorry for the bad sound quality)

0 comments: