Saturday 27 December 2008

Reformat my hard disk please!!

Ok, I'm just joking. But I did help Jun Ray reformat his computer yesterday. His computer is very slow, and also have viruses (as far as I know). I tried to help him fix the lagging problem once, but then the problem came back to haunt him. Poor Jun Ray.

So, in the end, he decided to reformat his computer, so he asked me to go. Then, I happily wiped out his hard disk and installed a fresh new copy of Windows XP Pro SP1.

Suddenly, there was a problem. Everything went well, until the time when I wanted to go online. It seems that Windows Xp doesn't have the driver for the Ethernet Card! WTH?? Asked Jun Ray if he has any disc for the hardware in his comp. Unfortunately, it was a No.

I wanted to open up his CPU and have a look at his Ethernet Card for the model number and blah, but I didn't dare to do that. If I'm electrostatically charged, I could fry his motherboard. That's the danger of fiddling with the guts of a computer.

But that wasn't the only problem. The sound card drivers aren't installed as well. God!! I should have taken down all the driver names and things like that. Reformatting can be a headache sometimes.

People, if you think your computer got infected, try not to think about reformatting. Reformatting the hard disk should be done as a last resort if the virus is too stubborn to be removed from the computer. Just google up the virus name and there should be some links to antivirus sites or forums talking about how to eradicate that virus.

0 comments: