Thursday 23 April 2009

Holy cow! Lightning!


Right, there's the second boss for you. Gotta love the lightning, right? Oh oh, and a very clear demo of the counterattack, which is actually quite simple, around 2 minutes and 19 seconds from the start of the video. Now, to initiate the counter attack, just press E once on the keyboard during a critical hit. No longer you need to spam the [ENTER] key like what I said earlier.

Seriously, I terpaksa set the boss' health to only 600HP, 200HP lower than the ice diamond because this boss is incredibly tough. Sure, the lightning only cause around 2-4 damage (not including critical hits), but look at the amount of lightnings used!! I know, it's quite evil to place hard bosses somewhere near the start of the game, but you know me, I'm a very evil game developer. Muahahahaha!

I can assure you, the player will be rewarded after this battle.

In the first Mr Ball game, my lightning engine was very simple.
  1. Along a straight line, define a few random points that lie outside the line.
  2. Join them up with straight lines
A good example of this lightning-making technique can be seen below here:

The thing is, this kind of lightning will be too thin, and not very nice. But but, in my current Mr Ball game, I'm not creating the lightning dynamically at runtime, instead, I draw a few lightning sprites, then draw them during the game as billboards, what I have is a more realistic lightning, which I think, is a great improvement from Mr Ball 1.


Cool eh?
I seriously love the lightning. I mean, lightnings are so cool, but I have a phobia of lightning in real life though. But that doesn't stop me from admiring the beauty of lightning, one of Mother Nature's fearful forces.

Hmm... Mr Ball may be able to harness the power of lightning to his own advantage. Who knows?

0 comments: