Tuesday 23 September 2008

But I don't wanna clean my room!!!

Let's talk about antibiotics. Now, what does antibiotics got to do with a messy room? Well, you'll be surprised.

Antibiotics was first discovered by a man named Sir Alexander Fleming. It was a normal day at his messy laboratory. Every where, you could see petri dishes filled with bacteria. I'm not sure what was he trying to do. Then, on one surprising day, something he didn't plan happened. In some of the petri dishes, the growth of the bacterial colonies were interrupted by some kind of a mould. It seems that the mould secretes some kind of substance that was inhibiting bacterial growth. And that mould is none other than Penicillium notatum, or penicillin for short. It's the miracle cure for that time for many bacterial infections.

"When I woke up just after dawn on September 28, 1928, I certainly didn't plan to revolutionize all medicine by discovering the world's first antibiotic, or bacteria killer," Fleming would write later, "But I guess that was exactly what I did."
-Sir Alexander Fleming


So, the next time your mum asks you to clean up your room, tell your mum that a antibiotics was found by accident in a bacterial-filled room.

Thank you, Sir Alexander Fleming, for your wonderful discovery of the antibiotics. Without it, imagine how many people would have died by now.

0 comments: