Wednesday 17 September 2008

Ooh?

Finally, my one day of effort paid off! I successfully made an objective paper reader! I could give the program to the school to mark papers, but then I decided to use it for fun. In my previous post, I talked about how I'm gonna use the data efficiently. But I found a better way to use the data. Just use the objective paper as a sheet of binary code! The code that the computer speaks in! So every shaded box would represent 1 and not shaded would represent 0! Using this, I could store a maximum of 40 bytes of data on 1 sheet of paper!

I wasted most of my time debugging the application that reads the image of the scanned objective sheet. A lot of times it had problem finding the shaded areas. This is because I only marked specific spots to be scanned for shaded oval. 1 pixel to check for each oval, that is. It wasn't good. So, instead of 1 pixel being checked for every oval, I also checked the 8 pixels around that pixel. If any of those pixels show sign of a shaded region, then it is a shaded oval. I wonder what can I do with this "technology"?

I can tweak it to turn it into an answer sheet marking application! It's not that hard to do it. Just a few adjustments here and there only. Then, it's just a matter of scanning the paper into the computer and letting my application do the checking!

0 comments: